Saturday, April 19, 2008

Postcards From The US , Philippines and Luxembourg

I have been a little lax in blogging this past week. Since my last entry on Monday, the 14th I have received a number of cards. I will be showing cards from New Mexico, USA , Philippines and Luxembourg. In addition to these I have also received 3 cards from Zhou Fan in P.R. China all with very nice stamps. My first card today is from Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA. It was sent by Jamie, a fellow Postcrosser. She used the 2007 , Okefenokee Swamp airmail rate stamp. The Okefenokee is a shallow, 438000 acre peat-filled wetland on the Georgia-Florida border. I like this card because it shows hundreds of hot air balloons in the sky over Albuquerque.This brings back a great memory for me. It was on July 17th , 1999 that I had my first and only hot air balloon ride. It was a gift from my wife Teena to celebrate the 25th anniversary of my employment with Canadian Airlines International.

The next card is from Jane from The Philippines. She has a postcard blog called Postcards and Places at enajpostcards.blogspot.com .The card shows Willy's Rock , just off Boracay Island , Philippines. Willy's Rock is Boracay's most recognizable attraction, an oddly shaped volocanic formation topped by a statue of the Virgin Mary. Boracay is a tropical island located about 315 km south of Manila and 2 km of the Northwest tip of the island of Panay in the Western region of the Philippines. It is one of the country's most popular tourist attractions. Jane used a number of 2007 definitives featuring birds and butterflies.

The final card for today is from Luxembourg and was sent by Krista M. She is also a Postcrosser but this card is the result of a private swap between us. The card shows various scens of luxemboourg at Christmas time , with snow on the ground. According to Krista snow is a rare event in Luxembourg. She says that it even snowed 2 days April of this year, a really strange event. I wish I could say snow was strange in April here is Calgary, but I'm sure no one would believe me. Well, believe me when I say it's been snowing here now continuously for over 24 hours, with more snow the next 2 or 3 days. I would estimate about 25 centimeters so far. Oh well, back to postcards and stamps. Krista used 2 nice stamps on her card. The one on the left was issued in 2001 and is 1 of a set of 6 highlighting the Euro. The stamp on the right is a 2005 issue , 1 of a set of 3 butterflies. The one on this stamp is Argyannis Paphia, the Silver -Washed Fritillary- a European species of butterfly.

Thanks to Krista, Jane, Jamie and Zhou fan. I can't do this without you guys.
More tomorrow , hopefully.

No comments: