Thursday, June 19, 2008

A Bunch of Postcards : Part B





Greenland, Australia, and Taiwan
First in this posting is a card from Nuuk, Greenland. It was sent to me by Jaana R who is leaving Greenland for Finland in about 2 weeks. So I was lucky to receive this card. She used a 2008 stamp featuring Nordic Legends and Fairy Tales. The card shows the Greenland National Museum and Archives. Nuuk is the capital and largest city of Greenland. It is located about 240 km south of the Arctic Circle. It has a population of 15,047.

I am also showing a First Day of Issue postcard from Australia. It was sent by Isobel. The card shows the city of Sydney, the Sydney Bridge and the Sydney Opera House. The stamp honors APEC 2007, the Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation.It was issued August 28, 2007. It is interesting that Isobel was able to send this card to me and get it postmarked on June 13, 2008 on the reverse. I guess it is because the card itself is a postage pre-paid card for posting worldwide.

Finally, I have a First Day Cover to show . It was sent by James Chen of Taipei, Taiwan He enclosed a note in the cover saying that he is a reader of this blog and enjoys it very much. In addition he wished me a Happy Birthday, tomorrow. He is just the 2nd blog reader to answer my challenge that I issued in my 30th of May posting - to send a postcard for my birthday. I guess it didn't go over that well. Oh well you can't blame a fellow for trying.
James' cover has a set of Stag Beetles of Taiwan stamps on this FDC. The FD of issue was June 5, 2008. it is just a beautiful and clear cover with special beetle shaped postmarks. Thanks James, I really appreciate your thoughtfulness. Keep reading the blog.

Just a couple of housekeeping items with which to end off today. I would like to say that anyone who reads this blog , please feel free to leave a comment. To know that you read it , is what keeps me writing it. I look forward to the comments .

Since I added the Live Traffic Feed from Feedjit about a week ago , I am absolutely amazed to know that my blog is visited by people from so many places around the world. Leave a comment, drop a postcard, send an email, any of that is great.

Thanks to Stephen for his assistance in adding the worldmap to the blog. It lets my readers know just where I still need a postcard from to achieve my goal of one postcard from every stamp issuing country. On that note to complete South America, I still need cards from Paraguay and Guyana. If you know any contacts in either of these countries , that might be able to help , drop me an email . Of course if by chance I have any readers in either country, please feel free to drop a postcard in the mail to me. I would be forever grateful.

Well, I guess that it for today. Thanks to Jaana, Isobel and James. And to quote someone, but I'm not sure who,"keep those cards coming folks" .

No comments: