Monday, May 18, 2009

Victoria Day Canada

Happy Victoria Day , Canada
What does Victoria day have to do with postcards you may ask ? Not a heck of a lot. It actually means that I won't be receiving any postcards today as it is a holiday in the post office. Oh well, more tomorrow. As my contribution to Victoria Day I am showing a very old postcard of The Union Jack, from my collection. The postcard dates back to 1915 or 1916. Since I am in Calgary, Alberta I was wondering about any connection to Queen Victoria. It appears there are a few. Queen Victoria's son, Prince Arthur visited Calgary in 1912 to open the very first Calgary Stampede. The province of Alberta is named after Princess Louise Caroline Alberta, the fourth daughter of Queen Victoria and her husband Prince Albert. I could go on and write about Lake Louise, the town of Caroline , The Marquess of Lorne Trail, but I don't want to lose my readers , who tuned in to read about postcards and more postcards.
Don't worry, I'll bet back to the good stuff tomorrow.
Thanks for visiting and I hope my history lesson wasn't too boring.

No comments: