Friday, December 4, 2009

Finland, Switzerland and a Blizzard

Well, it's a real winter day here in Alberta, today. It's our first real taste of winter . 20 cm snow, high winds , and whiteout conditions all day. The storm started around 8 A.M . and has continued all day . It is still raging as I write this at 8.P.M. Here are a couple of pictures taken this afternoon to give you an idea of what it's like here today. I walked to my mailbox and was lucky enough to receive 2 postcards. Both are official Postcrossing cards. Before I get to those cards , just a reminder, that you only have 35 days to get your entry or entries in for the
1st GemsWorldPostcards Worst and Ugliest Postcards Contest
For info and rules see the update for Thursday Dec 3, 2009.

My first postcard , from Finland , shows a very tranquil scene of a lighthouse. Many postcard collectors collect lighthouse cards. Not very many lighthouses around Alberta. A bit too far from the ocean , I guess. The stamp, from 2003 is from a very nice set of 3 featuring fish.

The other card that arrived today is from Switzerland. It shows a number of buildings, which ones I don't really know and the card doesn't tell me. The stamp was issued in 2007 and is 1 of a beautiful set of 4 featuring birds.

That is all for today. A small update , but it has been a great day inside for stamps and postcards. But tomorrow it's shovel time.
Take care.

1 comment:

Symea said...

Hello! The Switzerland card shows Zurich and the Grossmuenster. You have another card of this church in your collection.
Happy postcrossing, Sylvia (symea)