Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Cards, Cards, and more Cards from All Over

It's been a while since my last update. I have received a large number of postcards in the interim , somewhere around nineteen or twenty. Hopefully I will get to most of them in the next while. Today I will be looking at and showing seven of them.First up is a card from Yap, Micronesia. Yap is an island in the Caroline Islands located in the Western Pacific Ocean. It is a state of the Federated States of Micronesia. The card shows a group of locals participating in a stick dance. Darlene, a coworker of my wife, sent this card along. She was taking part in a volunteer stint in Yap. Thanks Darlene. The stamp is from a set of 12 definitives issued in 2006 featuring butterflies.
The next card is a little bit of a surprise. If is from my lovely Teena. She came across a number of postcards featuring aircraft on them. She knows I have a collection of this type of postcard. She sent three such cards, only one of which I will show today. Today's card features a Canadian Airlines International Boeing 737-200. I worked for Canadian Airlines for many years and it was the best years of my working life. Canadian was a great airline to work for , sadly they no longer fly. Canadian employees were a proud lot and I was one of them. Thanks Teena, this card will be extra special to me. Teena used a 2009 stamp commemorating the 100 years of The Montreal Canadiens of the National Hockey League.Now a card from Brunei. This card is a result of a private swap with Siang Yi, a Postcrosser from over that way. The card's front shows Brunei Town, the former name of Bandar Seri Begawan , the capital of Brunei. I don't see much mail from Brunei, so it was nice that Siang Yi and I could do this swap. The same goes for stamps from Brunei, I don't have many in my collection, so the opportunity for even one more was welcome. The five stamps on this card, all the same design, show wild orchids.
Our next card is from Sweden. It shows a winter scene from Dalarna. A Postcrosser named Glenn, great name, sent this card. Glenn says he is originally from Finland but has lived and worked in Sweden for the last 33 years. I really like the stamps on this card. They are 3 of a set of 5 issued in 2009 featuring classic cars. Mine show a Volkswagen , a Volvo and a Cadillac. The missing 2 from the set are a Citroen and a Ford Mustang. Oh well, one can't have it all. A nice looking set just the same.

Today's final card, actually today's final cards all come from Libya. The first one shows a tourist carriage on Green Square, in Tripoli, the country's capital . The next card shows the Arch of Marcus Aurelius, built in 163 AD, and is the only existing Roman monument in Tripoli. The final Libya card is a multi view of modern buildings found in Tripoli. These 3 cards and 3 others I received are all courtesy of Omran Elmajdoub who has a blog called Omran Elmajdoub Postcards, Stamps, Covers and Sheets at www,oelmajdoubstamps.blogspot.com .
Give it a look. Thanks Omran. I couldn't find any information on any of the Libya stamps. I do however really like the airplane set on the last card. They will be a fine addition to my airplane on stamps topical collection. Love the one on the right showing the Sud Aviation Caravelle.

I'm glad to be back here on the blog. See you again soon.

1 comment:

Leslie said...

Wow, those big Libyan stamps are so colorful!

Thanks so much for the cards from Jamaica! I received them both today - a really great surprise. Hope you enjoyed your vacation! I'll see what I can find to send in reply soon.