Thursday, March 10, 2011

England, France, Turkey, Thailand and Switzerland

That's a pretty good assortment of countries in the title of this update. Even though I have been at this postcard collecting business for five years now, it is still a great pleasure to go to the mail box and find cards from such places. It's pretty awesome to know that people in such faraway places , places I have never been for the most part, are sending me postcards. It's been a wonderful hobby and it's helped me meet a good number of people around the world. I know , I haven't really met any of them in person, and don't know them from Adam but I like to think that I have made a few friends through their postcards. People like Jean Pierre, Leslie, David, Trevor, Ana, Bruce, John, Michael, Kris, Ravindra , Katuna, Riccardo, and the 2 Erics. Without people like these sending postcards, stamps and information when requested , I might have given up sometime ago. I owe all of them many thanks for their kindness these past five years. Okay, on to the cards now , because that's why you read my blog, right ?

For this update I have 5 cards again, I often have 5 since it seems like a manageable number for me. First up is England and The Union Jack. A fine flag and one recognized the world over. I hope all you flag postcard collectors out there all have one of these. Sophie, a Postcrosser mailed this one from the Leicestershire Mail Centre. I'm not showing the stamp used on this card , as it is just a 67p Machin definitive.

The next card comes from Paris, France. It gives us a picture of the Palais Garnier, or the Paris Opera. It is a 2,200 seat opera house. Constructed between 1862 and 1875 it was the home of the Paris Opera from 1875-1989. This is another card from globetrotter David. He wrote on the card that Paris is the first leg of his trip to TAAF. TAAF or French Southern and Antarctic Territories consist of Amsterdam Island, Saint Paul Island, Crozet Islands, Kerguelen Islands and Adelie Land on Antarctica, along with The Scattered Islands in the Indian Ocean. Where one actually goes on a trip to TAAF I'm not exactly sure. However if any more cards arrive from David's trip, you'll read about it here. Back to the card, the stamp ( not shown here but in my last update) is the 2011 issue for the International Year of Chemists.

Card # 3 is from Istanbul. It is a card showing Ortakoy Mosque, located in Besiktas, Istanbul, Turkey. This current mosque was built between 1854 and 1856. Belkis , a Postcrosser in Istanbul, used 2 great stamps on this card. Both were issued in 2006. The stamp on the left is from a mini sheet of 4 different stamps issued for International Desert Year. A very nice mini sheet indeed. The right stamp , also 1 of 4, highlights comics.

Now the card from Switzerland. Rebecca sent this card and on it we can see The Grossmunster , a Romanesque-style church in Zurich. Constructed between 1100 and 1220, it is 1 of 3 major churches in the city. Rebecca used a beautiful bird stamp from a set of 2 issued in 2009. I just love the socked on the nose cancellation , I wish more post offices could do as well.

Last but not least is this card from Thailand. This one gives us a look at The Temple of The Emerald Buddha, Thailand's most important and sacred temple. It enshrines the highly revered Emerald Buddha, carved from a single block of Jade. Now for the stamps- let me just say the stamp package on this card is simply outstanding. The kind you love to see on a card. All of the stamps were issued in 2010. The top right and middle stamps are from a set of 4 featuring fireworks. I'm not quite sure what it is , but you can actually feel the fireworks . The small stamp under the fireworks stamp is from a set of 10 definitives. Of course, I saved the best for last. A beautiful stamp for my Airlines/Aircraft on stamps collection. This one is from a set of 4 issued to commemorate the 50th anniversary of Thai Airways International. Shown is a Boeing 747-400 . Also in the set is a DC-10 , an Airbus A340 and one other. Just a beautiful stamp set that was also issued as a mini-sheet. I would love to add this set to my collection. Any takers among my Thai readers ?

I think that's about it for this time. A good update with nice cards, if I do say so myself. Thanks go to David, Belkis, Sophie, Rebecca and Suteemar for their cards. As always, I look forward to and read your comments , when you leave them.

I still have lots of cards in hand , so tune in again soon.

3 comments:

Leslie said...

Wow, I've never seen those Turkish stamps before - our post office only has stamps back to 2007!

Trevor said...

For some reason, I really like flag cards! I don't have many of them, though.

Very nice cancellation on that Zurich stamp!

used cars calgary said...

For some reason, I really like flag cards! I don't have many of them, though.