Sunday, December 11, 2011

Number 254 and a Whole Lot More

Hello again. I've got a great update for you this time. A new stamp issuing entity , # 254 , leaving just 19 more on my list.

Number 254 is Andorra- Spanish Administration. Postal services in Andorra are not operated by the principality itself, but by Spain and France. Correos of Spain and La Poste of France operate side by side. Spanish mailboxes are red and French ones are yellow. Both postal administrations issue their own postage stamps for Andorra. I have received a number of postcards from Andorra- French Administration over the years but was never able to secure one posted in the Spanish Administration. Until now. Fabienne who writes as a follower of this blog thought to send a card posted through the Spanish Administration. Fabienne's card is of the 12th century Church of Sant Joan de Caselles. The 2 Andorra- Spanish Administration stamps were both issue in 2011. The one on the left was issued for Escaldes-Engordany one of the parishes of Andorra. The other stamp shows a letterbox and commemorates UPAEP. Fabienne collects UNESCO World Heritage Site postcards and authors a blog called UNESCARDS and you can see it here . Thanks Fabienne. With your card I can now cross off another one from the list on the left side. That's 254 in the bag, with just 19 left to go, 12 of which are in Africa. Europe is now complete along with South America.

Up next is another one for my Airlines/Airplanes collection. This one is a Convair CV-580 operated by Air Resorts Airlines. Convairs were produced between 1947 and 1954 with a total of 1,181 built. Some still operate into the 21st century. The Convair on the card is pictured at Lindberg Field , San Diego, CA. Dutch Postcrosser Nicolet was good enough to send this card along. I'm not showing the stamp as it is one of the Postcrossing stamps which I have shown a number of times already.

Another card from my brother Dale is next. He's no longer Down Under, having arrived back in Canada on Dec 08th. However his cards are still arriving. His card was posted in Canberra and shows Parliament House which was opened in 1988. It's flag pole rises to a height of 81 metres. Dale used the 2 stamps from Australia Post's first ever issue of Remembrance Day marking this year's significant November date of 11.11.11.

It's a card from Turkey next. The card shows an illustration of The Library of Celsus. It is an ancient Roman building in Ephesus. It was built in honor of Roman Senator Tiberius Julius Celsus Polemaeanus. It was completed in 135 A.D. The Postcrosser who sent this card wrote that it's wasn't easy to pick a postcard for me. I'm not really sure why that would be, as I like just about all postcards. I do have a thing for cards of aircraft, postboxes, manhole covers and post offices, but other than those , I'll take anything. If I've given any indication here or on my Postcrossing profile of any cards not to send, I take it back. Send any and all cards. On to the stamp. The stamp was issued in 2011 and unfortunately that's all i know about it. Feel free to enlighten me .

Gisela's card of a Postbox is next. She lives in Germany so I guess it's a German mailbox. I'm not sure if this is a box that she might receive her mail in or one she would drop mail in to send abroad. It looks like a personal mailbox to me. Either way it's a mailbox and I collect mailbox cards. Gisela use a flower definitive and a 2011 stamp commemorating the 50th anniversary of the new Kaiser Wilhelm Gedachtnis Kirche Berlin.

Now for a card from frequent contributor David from Ireland. This time he's in France. His card is of Neptune's Fountain on Stanislas Square in Nancy, a city in northerneastern France. David used 2 Marianne stamps and a round stamp , 1 of 2 issued in 2011 honoring Reims Cathedral.I think I'll call it a day here. I was going to add a few more cards, but I think this will do . All in all , a good update, of course, any time I can knock one from the list on the lift, is a good day. Thanks to Fabienne, Nicolet, Dale, Gisela, David and the Postcrosser from Turkey. Take care and see you soon.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to see that you could cross off one country on your list. Best wishes
Fabienne

Leslie said...

The Turkish stamp commemorates a historic military brigade from Hatay ... they seem to have fought in Cyprus, among with many other places over the past century (their history dates back even to Ottoman times, as far as I can tell).

You can see the full set of stamps here... it's quite a boring one, in my opinion!
http://www1.ptt.gov.tr/tr/pul/show/html/11-21.html