Saturday, February 11, 2012

Ski-Plane , Buzz Lightyear, University of Cape Town, and a Big Guy from Sri Lanka

As mentioned in my last update, postcards were scarcer than hen's teeth this past week. However I did manage to get four for this update. They arrived from Russia, USA, South Africa and Sri Lanka. Now without further ado , here they are.

First up is a card of my favourite topic- airplanes or aviation. It's a small , older ski-equipped passenger plane operating somewhere in Russia. I have seen this postcard a few times in other postcard blogs and hoped to sometime receive a copy myself. Now, thanks to Sergey and Natali , that day has arrived. They used a nice selection of fairly recent Russian stamps. The far left stamp was issued in 2009 and is 1 of 4 in a m/s honouring author N.W. Gogol. The large stamp in the center is from a souvenir sheet of 4 , celebrating 150 years of the Russian Bank, issued in 2010. The stamp on the right was issued in 2007 and is 1 of 2 in a set of Chistjakov paintings.

Here's a neat card that I'm sure my little grandson Evan will love. It shows an image from Toy Story 2. Front and center we see Buzz Lightyear. Buzz is a Space ranger famous for his catchphrase "To Infinity .... and Beyond. " This is a second card from Terry in San Francisco who used 2 more Pixar animation stamps from 2011. They are from a set of 5 and now my set is complete.

On to Cape Town and The University of Cape Town. UCT is South Africa's oldest and most famous learning institution. The school was founded in 1829 as South African College. The card comes compliments of Bruce who has often sent cards my way. He used a 2010 definitive , 1 of 27 in a set featuring Handicrafts.

Now for one of the Big guys in Yala National Park, Sri lanka. Yala is the most visited national park in the country. The elephant herd of Yala contains 300-350 individuals. The park is very important for the conservation of Sri Lankan Elephant. Ravindra used a 2009 stamp from a set of 2 featuring Madu Ganga Ramsar Wetland. He has a number of postcard blogs here , here and here . Give him a look, send him a card even.

That's about all for this time. Hopefully the mailbox will be a litter fuller with postcards next week. Thanks to all who sent these cards - Sergey & Natali, Terry, Bruce and Ravindra.
Later.

4 comments:

deltiolog said...

Oh darn, I was going to send you a card with those two Pixar stamps on it, but I see someone beat me to it. Any other US stamps you're hoping for?

Gem from Airdrie said...

The Aloha Shirts.Because Hawaii is the best place in the world for me and my wife.We have been there so many times and loved it every time and look forward to the next time. Plus I have one of those fancy Aloha shirts .

deltiolog said...

OK, I'll get some Aloha shirts to use next time I send you a card!

Gem from Airdrie said...

You know that's not really necessary,to go get special stamps, I love a postcard with any stamp. Just as long as it's stamped and posted is what matters most to me.