Sunday, April 29, 2012

Catch Up , Catch Up and Catch Up

Well, I'm finally back , back from a cruise, back from a week in Cuba and now back from a week in Newfoundland. To say I'm tired, tired of airports, tired of lineups, tire of dragging suitcases around, tired of living out of a suitcase, tired of food on the go, tired of different timezones and jetlagged , would be one huge understatement. I am just glad to be back home and will not be going anywhere anytime soon. The worst part of the whole thing is that I lost my camera, I left it on the airplane of the flight from St. John's to Toronto. It's been 3 days now and still nothing from the airline. I guess it's gone for ever. Anyway, I posted lots of cards while I was away, and received lots of postcards while I was away. I have lots of material to work with here on the blog. This blog has certainly taken a beating the last 2 months, with just one update in March and just four todate in April . This is number 5 . I'm sure that May will be much better with updates more often.

I also want to mention National Postcard Week which is just about upon us. It runs May 1-7, 2012. I'm not sure where National Postcard Week actually is observed , possibly England, but I intend to observe it here in Canada. I first mentioned it in my blog of 27 Jan 2012. At that time I wrote how I might observe it and asked my readers how they might take part. This is how I will take part. Each day of the seven days , May 1 - 7, I will mail a postcard mentioning the week, that's seven cards in all , to seven postcard friends. So if you get mail from me off and on, watch out for your National Postcard Week postcard. The cards will be numbered 1 through 7, but not in any order of importance. I also invite any and all that read this to send me a postcard to celebrate National Postcard Week 2012. Mark the postcard as such and when the week is over , we'll see how successful it was. My postal address is over on the left side.


So let's get to a few cards. First up is a card from Julia in Russia . The caption on the back of the card says "View on the Cathedral of Moscow , Kremlin".
I'm not quite sure that accurately describes the picture on the front. What do you think ? Anyway it is a very nice card with a great sunset. The stamp Julia used is from the set of 12 Kremlin definitives of 2009.




-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------====





Today's second card is from South Korea. It is a picture of the pavilion in the center of Tapgol Park in downtown Seoul.
The stamp is 1 of 4 in a really beautiful set of Dinosaurs issued in 2011. A set that would be welcome in my collection.





--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



This next card also comes from Russia and was sent by Sasha. It's a drawing of what people in the 19th century imagined Moscow would look like in the future. Steamboats, airplanes, and a big port in front of the Kremlin, at least that's according to Sasha.
The stamp is one issued for the upcoming 2014 Winter Olympic Games to be held in Sochi, Russia. The stamp was issued in 2011 and features fast track skating.



----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay, yet another card from Russia. Angela sent this one and it shows the University Embankment with a view of the Sphinxes.
This card arrived with a couple of large stamps which is often a rarity. Many Russian cards arrive with just definitives, so it's always a pleasure to see one with these large commemoratives . The stamp on the right was issued in 2011 and is 1 of 6 issued commemorating contemporary art. The other large one was issued in 2009 and is 1 of 2 in a set of paintings.












----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's today's final card. It is from Paulina in Poland. She writes that the photo depicted is called "Their Streets, the House of Ghosts". I leave it to my readers to figure that one out.
And here's the stamps , I have shown them many times in the past, so no comment.





So there you have it. Thanks to Julia, Sasha, Angela and Paulina for their cards. I should be back here again tomorrow to end the month . Take care and Cheers !!

No comments: