Saturday, November 17, 2012

Catching Up Again

I certainly have lots of catching up to do . I have been missing here on the blog for just about two weeks. Cards continue to arrive even when I'm not blogging, so now I have lots of material. I have a bunch of cards in front of me now as I write , so we'll see how many of these I get through. With no advance notice of where they are from or who sent them , let's get to it.

First up is a card from Belgium, compliments of Johan. It's a card showing an older , former Town Hall in Overijse, a town of about 25,000 in the center of Belgium. Overijse is where Johan lives.



 It must be great to live in a town or city where one can actually buy and send postcards of things and places in that town. I live in the city of Airdrie, with 40,000 people , with not a local postcard to be found. I have often thought about taking a few local pictures and having them made into postcards, but honestly there is nothing historical, nothing breathtaking, nothing outstanding, nothing worth picturing and sending as a card. Sounds pretty sad , doesn't it ? Johan used 2 new and current Christmas stamps and they arrived with a First Day of Issue cancel. Thanks Johan.You can find his great postcard blog called Johan Postcards here















Next up is a self made postcard from Linda in Holland. Linda loves to take photographs and took this one of a young lady in Madagascar. It turned into a nice postcard.    I'm not showing the stamp on this one. I've shown it many times before. It's the 2011 Environment stamp for worldwide delivery.










Here's a card posted in Minsk, Belarus. It shows people from Kamenets, in western Belarus celebrating the Day of Belarusian Written Language. The holiday is marked on the first Sunday of September. It is intended to demonstrate the unity of the Belarusian written word and to show the development of the written language in Belarus. Olya sent this card and remarked that ice hockey is her favorite sport - I can identify with that, but sadly I am missing it this year, what with the lockout.

Olya use a number of Flower and Animal definitives from 2008 on her card.








My next card is one of Popocatepetl, an active volcano located in Central Mexico, 70 km southeast of Mexico City. It's last eruption was this year, 2012. 








Ana used 2 stamps on this card. The larger one on the left is from a 2009 set of 5 entitled Terras Silvestres or wild lands. The other stamp is 1 of 4 in a 2012 set of Handicrafts definitives.


Ana has a great postcard blog called My World of Postcards and you should check it out here.









Now for a card from Germany but of Ireland. Mirko sent this card showing showing a bridge near Kunster, Cork County, Ireland. Mirko wrote that he has visited Europe, Africa and South America, but has never travelled by air. I guess that one advantage of serving in your country's navy.

Mirko's stamps include the 2010, 200th Anniversary of The Museum of Natural History in Berlin issue. The stamp on the right commemorates the 100th Anniversary of the ILA Exposition or Air Show held in Berlin in 2009. 












I think that 5 cards is enough for this time. Thanks for cards to Johan, Linda, Olya, Ana and Mirko.
I hope to be back again soon. It's just a matter of finding the time. Take care, enjoy your cards and stamps.




No comments: