Monday, February 25, 2013

Another February Update


Here we go with another bunch of postcards. Not sure how many I'll get on here today, but we'll play it by ear. Let's start with this large card from Ravindra over in Sri lanka. We have swapped many times and hopefully will continue swapping. The card shows the Awkana Budda Statue. The Avukana statue is a standing statue of the Buddha near Kekirawa in North Central Sri Lanka. The statue, which has a height of more than 40 feet, was carved out of a large granite rock face during the 5th century. I like the slogan on the bottom of the card, "Sri Lanka A Land Like No Other ". That's a good one.




Ravindra used another of the aviation stamps issued in 2012. It is from a set of 4 celebrating the Centenary of Aviation in Sri Lanka. Ravindra used 2 of the set of 4 on an earlier card. Now I just need the 12.00 value stamp showing an Air Ceylon aircraft. My aviation stamp collection grows again.




With this next card , my Aircraft/Airlines postcard collection will grow with another entry. Now the card doesn't say what aircraft type it is , but let me go out on a wing here ( pardon the pun ). I believe it to be a Yakovlev Yak-40, the world's first regional jet, introduced in September  1968. Just over 1000 were built.


   Karolina used 2 quite nice stamps on her card. They are from a set of Zoo Animals issued in 2007. They make a great set, but the big cat stamp on the right of my card is outstanding. 

 


My 3rd card for today comes from Indonesia. It is an advertising card of Elyse Taylor, the 26 year old model from Australia. This Victoria Secret's  model was in 2011 named as the face of the surf brand O'neill.  







Maria used 2 of the 3 stamps in the 2012 Year of the Dragon issue. A great set










Here's another transportation postcard, and it's not an aircraft. This one is a train for all you train enthusiasts out there. And I know there are quite a few. This one is an old steam locomotive from the USSR. 

Mira used 2 stamps to get this card across the pond. The one on the left is 1 of 7 is a 2012 set of 7 Wonders of Ukraine.  The vertical stamp on the right is a Vancouver 2010 Olympic
stamp. A set of 4 were issued.


















Bruce from South Africa posted my next card . It is a 1996 Gerald Hoberman photograph of 3 Ndebele people. The South Ndebele people are an African ethnic group located in South Africa and Zimbabwe. My Lovely Teena always manages to spot a card with people on it. She says if she were to collect, people on cards would be her choice. 


Bruce used a 2009 stamp from a set of 10 Dinosaurs in a 3D m/sheet.. A nice sheet to be sure , but I can't quite see the 3D effect.


















Look into my eyes, tell me what you see . Green Eyes is a song by Erykah Badu and also the name of a Coldplay song. All of which has nothing to do with my next card., except  her eyes are definitely green. She will remain a mystery to me. 



Corine used a new 2012 train stamp celebrating 100 years of service of the Alpine railway, the Mittenwaldbahn.


















Hey another card from Germany and the same train stamp . It's a beautiful card of a MIAT , Mongolian Airlines aircraft flying high over the mountains. I last wrote about a Mongolian Airlines card back on Feb4th of this year. That card came from The Netherlands. A short time ago , I have no Mongolian Airlines postcards in my collection, now in just 3 weeks I have two of them. Here's the latest one.  As I mentioned Veronika used the same railway stamp so no need to show it again.









Today's last card is a 1991 black and white photo by Philippe Pache. It's entitled "A Graceful Assist". A ballerina executing a graceful move.


Tuula used a Fashion stamp from 2009. It is 1 of 5 values in a m/sheet.























That wraps up this update. Thanks for cards to Tuula, Veronika, Corine, Bruce, Mica, Maria , Karolina and Ravindra. Eight cards, now that's not a bad day. You may have heard the expression, take a penny, leave a penny, well here it goes , have a comment, leave a comment. Some might say, a penny for your thoughts, but Canada is phasing out pennies , so I can't really give pennies I might have to round up or down. Canadians know what I'm talking about here.

No comments: