Wednesday, May 22, 2013

St. Maarten, Andaman Islands, Salzburg and Polonnaruwa

Here we go again. Today's update features cards from four of my postcard friends and regular contributors to this blog. I have never met either of them but we have corresponded often, through email and postcards.Maybe some day we'll run into each other in an airport - who knows.

My first card today comes from St. Maarten, a constituent country of the Kingdom of the Netherlands. I overlooked the importance of this in my collection until today. I knew I had a card from Philipsburg, St. Maarten somewhere in my collection. You can find it in my blog entry for Aug 1, 2011. It was country #249 for me. So what makes today's card so important ? The previous one did not have a stamp , just a postage meter stamp. Today's card arrived with 2 St. Maarten stamps, my first stamps from this place. Jean Pierre's card shows a KLM B747 on short final over Maho Beach.
 Here's the 2 stamps that jean Pierre used. The one on the left is 1 of  2 definitives in a 2011 set. The other stamp, also from 2011 is 1 of 3 in a Map set.


Card 2 for today  comes from Port Blair, Havelock Island, India. Havelock Island is the largest of the islands which comprise a chain of islands to the east of great Andaman in the Andaman Islands. It is 57 km north east of the capital of Port Blair. David's card is of Radha Nagar Havelock No. 7 . Beach No 7, better known as Radha Nagar was named by Time magazine as the best beach in Asia in 2004 . 

David used a bunch of wonderful stamps on this card. Let's look at the top, left stamp first. It was issued this year, 2013 and celebrates 100 Years of the Indian Science Congress. The other 4 are from a 2010 set of 6  Post Offices. A very nice set of stamps.

A view of Salzburg , from Kapuzinerberg Mountain is offered up on this card from Ana.  Ana's comment on her card was "beautiful Salzburg ". I imagine that says it all. Maybe someday I'll get over that way.

  Ana used a 2012 stamp, 1 of 3 in a Modern Architecture set. It shows the Mak Center at the Schindler House in Los Angeles.
  Here's today's last card. It comes from "A Land Like No Other". I love that motto of Sri Lanka. Ravindra sent this card of 12th century Polonnaruwa. The city is the 2nd oldest of Sri Lanka's kingdoms
and was declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1982.

Ravindra used 2 great stamps , as he always does.  The stamp on the left was issued in 2011 . It is 1 of a set of 10 celebrating World Tourism day. The other stamp is from 2012 and is 1 of 4 in a set commemorating 100 Years of Aviation in Sri Lanka.

Now with this latest card  from Ravindra I have the complete set of 4 Aviation stamps.  

Now , that's another update in the books. Thanks to Jean Pierre, David, Ana and Ravindra for their fine cards. I really appreciate your  cards . Take care , enjoy your cards.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This is really a great post
Monywa Pincode

Unknown said...

Many people will get lot of benefits by reading such kind of informational stuff .Thank you so much for this .
panipat pincode