Sunday, September 22, 2013

Planes, Planes and more Planes

Today's update is all about Planes- turbo-props, jets, bi-planes , any and all. Lately, I have received quite a number of postcards of planes. Please bear with me for this time , if by chance your interest lies elsewhere.
Today I have four cards and all will be fine additions to my Aircraft and Airlines postcard Collection.

First up is an Eastern Air Lines Super Constellation flying over Miami Beach, Florida. I don't think I need to write anymore about the Connie, I've done that quite a few times on this blog, other than to say I think it's one of the most beautiful planes ever built. I just wish that I had an opportunity to fly on one.

Laura from Wisconsin sent this card along. She used 3 stamps, the 1 on the right is was issued in 2012 and the other 2 in 2013. The 2 Apple stamps from self-adhesive coils from a set of 4. The other one is a self-adhesive Forever stamp from the Earthscapes m/sheet . It shoes a bird's eye view of a Residential Subdivision. All 3 were heavily cancelled.







The last time I wrote about Elvis, I mentioned that people often say "Elvis has left the building " and I wrote that maybe he just went to the Post Office. Well now maybe he has just went to the airport. This second card is entitled Elvis' Lisa Marie. It shows N880EP, a Convair 880. Elvis Presley bought the "Lisa Marie"as his personal transport in April of 1975 after its career with Delta Airlines. He purchased it for $250,000 and spent another $325,000 plus on its refurbishment. It has been displayed at The King's Graceland home since 1984. It was nicknamed "Hounddog One ". If you look at the aircraft's tail, you notice it carries the TCB symbol which stands for "Taking Care of Business ".

Julia, a Postcrosser from Michigan sent this card along. She used the round Forever Global stamp. I have shown this stamp quite often in the past, so see no need for it again.

This next card from Belarus shows an Antonov AN-2 on skies. The AN-2 is a single -engine biplane produced between 1947 and 2002. More than 18,000 have been built. It is comparable in role, configuration and era to a de Haviland Canada DH-3 Otter.

Olga used a number of nice stamps on this one. The train stamp is from a set of 2 issued in 2010. The bird stamp in the center is from 2011, a Birdlife issue. Interestingly the bird next to it is actually not a stamp. Part of the selvage I guess. The blue vertical stamp is from a 2011 set of 2 highlighting Polar Protection. 





My last card for this day comes from Russia. It is of a Aeroflot Ilyushin IL-18. It is a large turboprop airliner, one of the best known Soviet aircraft, as well as one of the most popular and durable. 564 of the IL-18 were produced between 1959 and 1978. Comparable aircraft of the type are the Bristol Britannia, the Lockheed L-188 Electra, the Vickers Viscount and the Douglas DC-6. 


Roman used a 2009 Europa astronomy issue and a 2013 stamp honouring A.I. Pokryshkin .  Alexander Ivanovich Pokryshkin was a Marshal of the Soviet Air Force. He was made a Hero of the Soviet Union on three separate occasions





That's my update for this time. Thanks to Roman, Laura, Julia, and Olga for their fine cards.  All will find a home in my collection. Thanks for reading. Take care, see you again soon. 
 



No comments: