Saturday, January 25, 2014

Yes, Easter Island,,,,,, No , Not Really

Well, I have to say I was certainly fooled by my first card, at least for a moment. I was pleasantly excited when I pulled it out of my post box. Here's what I saw.

Easter Island at last, I thought, but it was not to be. After admiring the 15 moais , I turned the card over and discovered it was "just from Chile ".  99 times out of a hundred , that would be wonderful. But it is a really nice card. Ahu Tongariki is the biggest ceremonial center of all Ahu on Rapa Nui, with 15 moais .  Moai, or mo‘ai, are monolithic human figures carved by the Rapa Nui people from rock on the Chilean Polynesian island of Easter Island between the years 1250 and 1500.

This card is from my brother Dale, who has been a frequent visitor to South America the past couple of years. This card was written in Santiago on New Year's Eve and postmarked on Jan 3rd. Dale used a couple of older stamps here. On the left is a 1993 Christmas stamp, 1 of 2 in a set. The large stamp on the right was issued in 2001 to mark the 100th anniversary of the birth of A.H. Cruchaga or Padre Hurtado as he was known in Chile.



Thanks Dale for fooling me so well and for a great card.


My next card is a picture of a prizewinning contest poster for The Century Magazine of 1897.  The Century Magazine was a monthly magazine from 1881 until 1930. This card arrived from Australia.




Louise used 2 stamps on her card. The Bird stamp is from a 2013 set of 4. The Airbus A380 stamp is also from a set of 4 issued in 2008. This is a beautiful set , especially the 50 cent Supper Connie.





Now for a card showing the Abbesses in Paris.
Abbesses is a station on the Paris Métro Line 12, in the Montmartre district . Abbesses is one of the few deep stations of the Paris Métro, at 36 metres below ground, as it is located on the western side of the butte of Montmartre.


This is a card from Dominique and he used a 2013 stamp commemorating the 100 th running of the Tour de France. It is 1 of 8 stamps in a beautiful souvenir sheet.



A new addition to my Airlines/Aircraft on Postcards Collection is featured next. It's  a  Korean Air B747.



 It might be a Korean Air plane but the card arrived from Kiev, Ukraine. Alex used 3 Flowers and Plants definitives on his card.






Speaking of the Ukraine, I'm sure all readers are aware of the protests and demonstrations  currently going on in that country. I certainly hope Alex and all are safe and their president comes to his senses soon so the good folks in Ukraine can go back to a normal and democratic life .


Today's final card  comes from Anna , a university student in Jackson , Mississippi, U.S.A. She sent this smaller than average card showing just the wing of a  jet aircraft. A unique view, nonetheless.

Anna used two stamps from 2013. A Ginger Bread House Forever stamp and a definitive Apple stamp. Not the greatest of stamp themes for sure. I find it rather bizarre  that a country would issue such stamps when there are hundreds of better things, people, inventions, organizations, events, anniversaries, places, buildings   and hundreds of others that should be showcased on a country's stamps  to give the world a look at that country. A ginger bread house and an apple , it just boggles my mind. ( And I'm not just referring to the USA , it 's all countries, Canada included ) . What do you think ? Let me know by leaving a comment. 
Oh yes, the stamps. 


 So ends another update. Thanks for cards go to Alex, Dominique, Louise, Anna and Dale. Drop by again soon. Take care.
 

No comments: