Saturday, October 31, 2015

But Not For Much Longer

Hello, it's October 31st , so this will be the last update for the month. But first before I get to the postcards for today, let me take a moment. To all the witches, goblins, pumpkins and all of you , I just want to wish you all a very spooky and  HAPPY HALLOWE'EN  . Now without further ado , here's the proverbial Halloweén postcard.




The first regular card for today comes from Belgium.It's a view of the city of Marche-En_Famenne. It shows a sculpture called "Meeting Place " that is located on the roundabout at Porte Basse. The work of Serge Gangolf Verviers, it is made of stainless steel, is 8.5 m high and weighs in at 3 tons.




Johan used a nice Christmas stamp showing the Christmas story.



A card from Brazil is next, not the mainland but the island of Fernando De Norohna. It is about 354 km offshore from Brazil. The area consists of an archipelago of 21 islands. It was designated a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 2001.



David used 2 stamps from this year featuring Bees. The stamps are , or were, scented, but after a month in the mail system, the scent seems to have disappeared.



Here's another card from Johan . Another nice addition to my Aircraft on Postcards Collection. This time it's aircraft OO-SRF in the livery of Sabena, the Belgian airline. The card shows the tail section of a Sud  Aviation SE 210 Caravelle. On a personal note, I flew on a Caravelle way back in 1976. Aircraft OO-SRF was in service with Sabena in the early 1960s and later with Air Inter and Catair in the 1970s. It was "broken up " sometime around 1997.  Also on the card is a 1962 Citroen DS. Not a car I'm very familiar with, we don't see too many here in Canada.



Again Johan secured a special cancellation on two different Christmas stamps.



Well we've made it to the last card for this time. It's from Kuopio, Finland. The city has 111,000 people and is the eight largest in the country.
I need some help with this card. I'd like to know what is printed on the front. I tried a couple of online translation sites but neither made any sense to me. If any Fins are reading this, and I'll be surprised if there are , please feel free to translate for me via the comment section. Or anyone else who happens to known Finnish, feel free. Here's what needs translation;

 

The card arrived with a couple of stamps as shown. I'll just address the larger one top right corner. It was issued on March 1, 2006. It is of a painting called The Fortune Teller (Woman in Yellow Dress ). It was painted in 1926 by Finnish artist Helene Schjerfbeck.




And so ends another update, and another month. I'll see you all next in November. Thanks for cards go out to Johan , David and the Postcrosser in Finland who sent the last card. I'll even be so bold as to thank the person who does the translation. Take care,Cheers.

No comments: