Monday, October 12, 2015

Canadian Thanksgiving

It's that time once again - Turkey time and I don't mean the country, I mean The Bird. Yes, it's Thanksgiving Day here in Canada. Today and every day I'm thankful for my Family- near and far, the Love of My Lovely Teena, out health, food on the table, and a safe place to live. You only have to look at the news on television to know that's not the case for many millions of people around the world. Yes, we had turkey dinner and turkey at Thanksgiving always brings to mind the classic Thanksgiving episode of "WKRP in Cincinnati" . I always remember the words of Arthur Carlson "As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly". Check it out on You Tube, it's well worth it.

Now on to postcards   - and staying with Thanksgiving just a little longer, I offer a single Thanksgiving themed card. Can't you just smell the turkey on this one.




Now here's a card from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. What better view of that city could one want than Copacabana Beach. The beach is 4 km in length and has seen a number of quite large crowds. On Dec 31, 1994 Rod Stewart attracted 3.5 million to a New Year's Eve concert. The Rolling Stones drew 1.5 million on Feb 18, 2006. Finally Pope Francis celebrated mass on July 28, 2013 with 3 million. So I guess Rod rules.



David used a 2004 stamp ( on the left ) along with 2 from 2015 , issued for the upcoming Olympic Games in Rio in 2016. Nice socked on the nose cancels. Always nice to see.



Now it's another Air France card, one more in the "France Is In The Air "series.



Jean Pierre's stamp is one from July of this year.  It's 1 of 2  issued to mark the 20th anniversary of the death of Gilberto Bosques , Consul General of Mexico in France during World War II . Is is also a Joint Issue with Mexico.



My last card shows a neat trick if you can do it. Riding a cycle off a broken bridge over an oncoming train, hoping to make it to the other side. Let's hope he made it. Reminds me a little of Evel Knievel.



A PostCrosser from Finland sent this card and used one of the "Tom of Finland " stamps issued in 2014. It is 1 of 3 different stamps in a sheet.


That's it for this time, a little shorter than my usual, but there it is. Thanks to David, Jean Pierre and Antti for today's cards. See you next time. 

No comments: