Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Ryann's Card, Britain's Most Northerly, Laos and Europe's Most Western Point

That's quite the title - it covers a lot. This is the first update for February and since this is a Leap Year, logically I should be able to get an extra update in. So that's good.

In my last update I highlighted a card from my grandson Evan. He had sent it from Maui while on vacation. A number of days after receiving Evan's card, I was thrilled to find a card from my granddaughter Ryann in the mailbox. She found time to write out this card , while in Maui , also. Ryann's card  shows the Giant Banyan Tree located in Lahaina , on Maui. Extending about 200 feet wide, the giant Banyan tree of Lahaina is a sight to see. To memorialize the 50th anniversary of the first American Protestant mission in Lahaina, a banyan tree seedling was planted on April 24, 1873. The seedling was 8 ft high when it was planted, by 2005 it had grown to a height of 49 ft, with 16 trunks. It is the largest banyan tree in Hawaii.



As I did with Evan's card, I am showing the back of Ryann's also. Just in case she forgot what she wrote. Mahalo Ryann, I love the card.



My next card arrived from Baltasound in the United Kingdom. Baltasound is the largest settlement on the island of Unst in the Shetland Islands. Unst is the most northerly inhabited island in the U.K. The card arrived from and shows the Baltasound Hotel , Britain's most northerly hotel. It is the only hotel on the island of Unst.




Now a little about how this card came to me. First I owe the idea for it to Johan of   Johan Postcards  fame.
I saw a card from Unst on his postcard blog and thought to try for one for myself. I contacted the Baltasound Hotel and the rest is history.
The card arrived with 1 of 8 stamp issued in 2015 featuring images of  Ernest Shackleton's Endurance Expedition as recorded by Frank Hurley, the expedition's official photographer. Take note of the special cancellation showing puffins and the words " Britain's Most Northerly Post Office ".  A good card all around. Thanks to the staff of the Baltasound.




Laos is up next. A short while ago, back on Nov 4th, I commented that I considered Laos one of those rare countries, postcard wise. I now have another Laos card, so I guess it's getting to be a little less rare country. Jobbo's card shows Wat Xieng Thong or Temple of the Golden City. It's a Buddist Temple, located on the northern tip of the Peninsula of Luang Phrabang. Construction took place from 1559-1560.

 

Jobbo used a nice selection of stamps as always. On the left is a stamp from 2014,  highlighting Historic Buildings and Places. There was a set of 5 issued . The center stamp , from 2000, is 1 of 4  issued for the Millennium. Lastly on the right is a joint Issue with Russia , issued in 2015. The joint issue celebrated the 55th Anniversary of Diplomatic Relations between the two countries.




Here's today's last card, a nice lighthouse card for all you lighthouse card collectors out there. This one is the Cabo da Roca  Lighthouse which overlooks the promontory towards the Atlantic Ocean. Cabo da Roca is a cape which forms the westernmost point of mainland Portugal and continental Europe.




Jean Pierre used a 2015 stamp , 1 of 4 issued showcasing the Portuguese Sea.




Well there you have it. Thanks for cards go out to Lovely Ryann, staff at Baltasound Hotel, Jobbo and Jean Pierre.

No comments: